Oct 12, 2022 – Day 4 at sea aboard Koningsdam
2022 Hawai’i cruise
We are in rain and rough seas this morning, so the Promenade Deck is closed on both sides to passengers. A rainbow appears to the south of us this morning (see banner image above). I have a continental breakfast in my stateroom this morning, adding a cappuccino from the Explorations Cafe. Today’s lunch is an Apple and bacon pannenkoek (pancake) from the Grand Dutch Cafe – delicious!
Hawaiian Connectivity – Naturalist John shares a study of the Hawaiian islands and reefs found northwest of Kaua’i, which he participated in.
- Active volcanoes are only on Maui and Big Island (youngest)
- New island forming off the Big Island
- Birds first to arrive to newly-formed islands
- Nene goose (from Canada Goose)
- Introduced species
- Introduced birds have largely replaced native Hawaiian birds
- Mongoose to control rats, ended up decimating native birds
- Feral goats
- Green gecko
- Papahanaumoku Wakea – Marine protected area – Northwestern Hawaiian Islands – NW of Kaua’i
- Ko Hawai’i Pae ‘Aina
- Small islands and reefs
- Species protected and population restoring
- Yellow Tang
- False Killer Whale
- Acropora – hard coral
- Tiger shark
- Red Snapper & Yellow fin tuna (Ahi)
- Climate change will cause a 1 meter increase in sea level in Hawai’i by 2100
- 689 nm NE of Kahalui
- 1,709 nm from Vancouver sailing at an average speed of 18.3 kts
I track the ship’s position and speed independently using the MarineTraffic app on my iPhone.
Made in New York – Lincoln Center Stage quartet play selections from:
- Dave Brubeck’s Take Five
- Billy Joel
- Alicia Keys
- Other New York artists
I go to the Crow’s Nest for a Martini, and then go to the Lido for a quick dinner of delicious pork ribs, fries and veggies before going to the early show: Step One Dance Company Presents: In Tandem – a fusion of latin dance, blues singer – a full house!
I have a Benedictine liqueur as I watch this very energetic show. I then spend a couple of hours up at the Crow’s Nest working on my photos and videos, and sipping on my second Martini of the day. Such a decadent life…